Click here to view our entire 1st Grade Collection!
First grade is where the effort to develop students' basic language and math skills begins in earnest. The ability to read well, being essential for success in all subjects, students learn the features of a sentence, learn to recognize sight words, and learn how to decode or sound out unfamiliar words. Students work at reading aloud at an appropriate speed and with expression. That fluency aids their ability to comprehend what they are reading.
In mathematics, students develop an understanding of addition and subtraction and strategies for solving these operations within 20. They also learn about place value and grouping numbers into tens and ones, the measurement of lengths, and the attributes of geometric shapes.
What should your child be learning?
- Fundamental phonics skills
- Consonant blends and diagraphs
- Short and long vowel sounds
- Sight words
- Spelling patterns
- Decoding skills
- Writing skills
- Sentence structure and punctuation
- Reading fluency
- Using picture clues
- Story sequencing
- Independent reading
- Addition and subtraction facts
- Skip counting
- Measuring and comparing
- Time and money
Here is a highlight of some products, workbooks, and book series that are perfect for 1st grade students:
- Created by teachers for parents and teachers, this helpful Conquering Phonics Fantastic Fan includes a wealth of information, strategies, tips, and tricks in a handy "fan" format! Appropriate for grades PreK-2, this must-have resource breaks down phonics and early reading concepts to make the content easier to teach and understand! Perfect for enhancing learning and boosting reading proficiency! Keep this fan handy in a homework area at home or teacher supply area in a classroom for easy access.
- Every child can "do it" with CTPs new workbook series. The activities in the I Can Do It! series provide repeated practice to aid mastery with essential skills and academic concepts. Use these books to introduce, reinforce, or extend learning. Perfect for home, school, or on the go, the I Can Do It! workbooks provide smart skill practice that makes learning fun and leads to academic success!
- Inspired by the highly popular Math Minutes series, this book features 100 "minutes." Each Minute consists of 10 grammar questions for students to complete within a short time period. This unique format offers students an ongoing opportunity to improve their own grammar proficiency in a manageable, nonthreatening manner. The quick, time format, combines with instant feedback, makes this a challenging and motivational assignment students will look forward to each day. Students become active learners as they apply grammar skills to a variety of question formats in key areas of first-grade instruction.
- Each book in this series features 100 "Minutes" to help students build basic skills, increase speed in math operations, and strengthen problem-solving skills. Each Minute consists of 10 problems of varying degrees of difficulty that incorporate a variety of skills. Each ten-problem reproducible can be used as a learning or testing tool.
- Help beginning readers master over 100 sight words using the unique, hands-on approach of the reproducible sight word activity pages in this book. Designed specifically for small group instruction, Cut & Paste Sight Word Sentences takes an active learning approach, providing students with multiple hands-on opportunities to develop an array of essential literacy skills - from concepts about print to recognizing sight words and developing higher level comprehension skills.