Click here to view our entire 4th Grade Collection!
As upper-grade students, fourth grade readers are expected to not only comprehend grade-level reading material but to think more deeply about what they are reading - to analyze a book's underlying messages, to speculate on a character's motivation, and to consider how the content relates to their own experiences.
In mathematics, fourth graders are working to develop their understanding and fluency in solving multi-digit multiplication and division problems. They are also working more with fractions, learning about equivalent fractions, how to add and subtract fractions, and how to multiply fractions by whole numbers. And they are learning to categorize geometric figures according to their properties, such as having parallel sides, perpendicular sides, particular angle measures, and symmetry.
What should your child be learning?
- Reading comprehension
- Main idea and details
- Identifying fact and opinion
- Determining cause and effect
- Inferring author's purpose
- Comparing and contrasting
- Critical thinking
- Grammar, punctuation, and spelling
- Parts of speech
- Figurative language
- Synonyms and antonyms
- Metaphors and analogies
- Structural analysis
- Types of writing
- Paragraph structure
- Writing a multi-paragraph composition
- Cursive handwriting
- Multiplication and long division
- Properties of operations
- Multiples and factors
- Powers of ten
- Measurement and data
- Perimeter and area
- Volume and surface area
- Standard measurement
- Metric measurement
- Decimals and fractions
- Number lines
- Expanded number form
- Algebraic thinking
- Data analysis and probability
- Multi-step word problems
- Problem solving
Here is a highlight of some products, workbooks, and book series that are perfect for 4th grade students:
- Created by teachers for parents and teachers, this helpful Mastering Multiplication Fantastic Fan includes a wealth of information, strategies, tips, and tricks in a handy "fan" format! This must-have resource will unlock the secrets of multiplication, making it easier to teach and learn! Keep this fan handy in a homework area at home or teacher supply area in a classroom for easy access.
- Practice makes perfect with these multiplication worksheets! In this math workbook, systematic practice worksheets for a range of learning levels encourage students to master essential math skills, build fluency in basic math facts, and develop key math strategies. Practice tests included!
- High-interest skill building for home and school! A wide range of activities that focus on essential grade-level skills and strategies. These activities are shaped and influenced by current research findings in literacy instruction grounded in the Reading First Initiative. Great for ESL/ELL! With added instructions, these are also great for home use!
- Inspired by the highly popular Math Minutes series, this book features 100 "Minutes." Each minute consists of 10 grammar questions for students to complete within a short time period. This unique format offers students an ongoing opportunity to improve their own grammar proficiency in a manageable, nonthreatening manner. The quick, time format, combines with instant feedback, makes this a challenging and motivational assignment students will look forward to each day. Students become active learners as they apply grammar skills to a variety of question formats in key areas of fourth-grade instruction.
- By popular demand, the Quiz Whiz series has been expanded to include grades 1-5. Each book in this series contains hundreds of questions and answers to use for Skill Practice and Test Prep and review of basic concepts, classroom learning center games, a year-round bulletin board, and a variety of other creative uses. Questions are on one side of the card, and answers are on the back for self-checking. There are three levels of difficulty for the ten topics in each book to help you best meet the needs and ability levels of your students.
And you can enjoy a FREE DOWNLOAD of activity pages from I Can Do It! Multiplication book!
- This book includes 3 levels of learning from practice and understanding with the basic concept of multiplication to multi-digit multiplication which makes it perfect for kids of all abilities.
Also, click here to check out your State Standards!