Click here to view our entire 3rd Grade Collection!
In third grade, students begin making the important transition from learning to read to reading to learn. It is therefore essential that students master these basic skills-decoding words, reading text fluently, and comprehending what they read-so that they are ready to move on to more complex skills, such as analyzing a text, thinking more deeply about what they read, and being able to discuss the main ideas.
In math, the focus is on developing an understanding of the concepts behind multiplication and division. Working with objects can help students grasp the idea of combining and separating groups of objects represented by these mathematical operations. They then need to memorize their multiplication and division facts. Students also begin to develop an understanding of fractions, the area of two-dimensional objects.
What should your child be learning?
- Reading comprehension
- Main idea and details
- Identifying fact and opinion
- Determining cause and effect
- Using context clues
- Making inferences
- Critical thinking
- Grammar, punctuation, and spelling
- Parts of speech
- Synonyms and antonyms
- Metaphors and analogies
- Structural analysis
- Types of writing
- Paragraph structure
- Cursive handwriting
- Multiplication and division
- Properties of opertions
- Geometric measurement
- Perimeter and area
- Decimals and fractions
- Number lines
- Data analysis and probability
- Multi-step word problems
- Problem solving
Here is a highlight of some products, workbooks, and book series that are perfect for 3rd grade students:
- Created by teachers for parents and teachers, this helpful Word Choice Fantastic Fan includes a wealth of information, strategies, tips, and tricks in a handy "fan" format! This must-have resource breaks down word choice concepts to make the content easier to teach and understand! Keep this fan handy in a homework area at home or teacher supply area in a classroom for easy access.
- The key to reading is understanding what is being read. By reading, a child can become a better reader, but he or she does not necessarily improve his or her reading comprehension. The ability to comprehend what is read is critical to understanding textbooks in later grades, which is why you will find this book has a majority of nonfiction passages. The book repeats important strategies necessary for strengthening reading comprehension skills. By completing the book in order, your child will revisit the strategies.
- Inspired by the highly popular Math Minutes series, this book features 100 "Minutes." Each Minute consists of 10 grammar questions for students to complete within a short time period. This unique format offers students an ongoing opportunity to improve their own grammar proficiency in a manageable, nonthreatening manner. The quick, time format, combines with instant feedback, makes this a challenging and motivational assignment students will look forward to each day. Students become active learners as they apply grammar skills to a variety of question formats in key areas of third-grade instruction.
- Each book in this series features 100 "Minutes" to help students build basic skills, increase speed in math operations, and strengthen problem-solving skills. Each Minute consists of 10 problems of varying degrees of difficulty that incorporate a variety of skills. Each ten-problem reproducible can be used as a learning or testing tool.
- This resource book has daily practice lessons designed around a spiraling scope and sequence format to support and reinforce writing skills. This highly structured resource book contains practice with standards-based writing skills, application of skills through authentic writing exercises, and formative assessments after every nine lessons.
And you can enjoy a FREE DOWNLOAD of activity pages from this Cootie Catchers Language Arts eBook!
Some features of this eBook include:
- interactive and motivating tool for skill review
- fun, quick easy way to review skills and concepts
- includes a Before You Flip hint for children to apply while they use the cootie catcher and an After You Flip activity to extend learning
- aligned to standards
Also, click here to check out your State Standards!