Click here to view our entire 2nd Grade Collection!
In second grade, students expand upon the skills they learned in first grade. They learn to read more complex words and read longer, more challenging texts in a variety of genres. They work to improve their comprehension skills as they discuss what they read.
In mathematics, students extend their understanding of base-ten notation, building fluency with addition and subtraction, use standard units of measure, and describe and analyze shapes.
What should your child be learning?
- Sight words
- Decoding strategies
- Identifying the main idea
- Beginning, middle and end
- Fiction vs. nonfiction
- Sentence structure
- Grammar and punctuation
- Spelling patterns
- High-frequency words
- Vocabulary development
- Synonyms and antonyms
- Prefixes and suffixes
- Classifying and categorizing words
- Multi-digit addition and subtraction
- Even and odd numbers
- Place value
- Fact families
- Time and money
- Word problems
- Standard units of measure
- Problem-solving skills
Here is a highlight of some products, workbooks, and book series that are perfect for 2nd grade students:
- Inspired by the highly popular Math Minutes series, this book features 100 "Minutes." Each Minute consists of 10 grammar questions for students to complete within a short time period. This unique format offers students an ongoing opportunity to improve their own grammar proficiency in a manageable, nonthreatening manner. The quick, time format, combines with instant feedback, makes this a challenging and motivational assignment students will look forward to each day. Students become active learners as they apply grammar skills to a variety of question formats in key areas of second-grade instruction.
- Each book in this series features 100 "Minutes" to help students build basic skills, increase speed in math operations, and strengthen problem-solving skills. Each minute consists of 10 problems of varying degrees of difficulty that incorporate a variety of skills. Each ten-problem reproducible can be used as a learning or testing tool.
3. Managing Your Feelings Fantastic Tips Fan
- Created by teachers for parents and teachers, this helpful Managing Your Feelings Fantastic Fan includes a wealth of information, strategies, tips, and tricks in a handy "fan" format! This must-have resource breaks down managing feelings concepts to make the content easier to teach and understand! Keep this fan handy in a homework area at home or teacher supply area in a classroom for easy access.
4. Build-a-Skill Instant Books: Compound Words
- This book features a variety of reproducible, child-created mini-books designed to help students gain mastery of language arts skills. Ideal for extension activities, learning centers, or homework.
5. Reading Comprehension Stick Kids Workbook, Grade 2 eBook
- Reading comprehension is made up of several skills that can be honed and sharpened with practice and repetition. This book provides that along with activities designed to strengthen your child's ability to problem-solve, think critically, and become familiar with the academic language commonly used in school setting.
And you can enjoy a FREE DOWNLOAD of activity pages from this Parts of Speech and Language Mechanics eBook from the Games Galore series for our Freebie Friday special!
Some features in this eBook include:
- Games to help kids learn skills in a fun way
- Games with a companion activity page (referred to as a reproducible in the book) for additional reinforcement
- Answer key provided with the game cards
- Easy to print cut apart and more!
Also, click here to check out your State Standards!